Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Vintage Pincushions

Last week, I found this "new" LeeWards pincushion set at our thrift store for $2.49.  The wool is so bright and saturated, the pictures really don't do it justice.  


I wish they still made stuff like this.  I like embroidery too, but there's something about crewel.  Maybe it's the linen and wool, it reminds me of my Granny.  She bought me a kit like this when I was 5, to teach me to stitch.  It was a gaudy parrot, and I had the best time doing it.  I even had golden stork scissors, which were my prized possession for many, many, years.  Granny always told me not to cut paper with them, and I listened.  But I probably opened glue bottles, snipped plastic canvas, and otherwise abused them.  My husband bought me the Gingher pair in the photo several years ago when the others were too rusted to cut thread.

I changed the colors around a bit.  Wasn't feeling the rust orange for my sewing room.  I've got my eye on the bee and flower next.  It has a turkey work stitch I haven't tried yet.  The excitement never really ends over here.

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. I love finding these kinds of treasures as well! LOve yours and the colors you switched!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen or heard the LeeWards name is so many years~~ thanks for the a trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete